2010-2011 - Transmission "Clicking" Issue - Do YOU hear it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010-2011 - Transmission "Clicking" Issue - Do YOU hear it?

My wife and I had pretty much settled on purchasing a 2011 MDX to replace our 2005 Toyota 4Runner until I saw a couple posts from 2010-2011 MDX owners describing what sounds like a problem with the new 6 speed transmission.

The description of the problem typically goes something like this (which was taking from a post in this forum):

• Hi, I have a 2010 MDX tech. Recently I hear some click click sound from engine/transmission when the car is around 10mph-20mph under light accelaration (1000rpm-2000rmp), the noise only happens when the engine is warm, it is annoying once you hear it.
Then, apparently an Acura tech posted the following in response to an owner who was concerned about the sounds he was hearing in his transmission:

• So I'm gonna assume you have a 2010 model with the new 6-speed automatic. The knocking noise is coming from the transmission. Since this is a new transmission, they don't have a fix for it yet. The dealer techs call the American Honda Techline, and the response is to do nothing and tell the client that they're working on the fix and to have them return when the fix is available.
  • Nobody wants to hear this. This is not news the dealer wants to pass on to the customer because they sure as hell know that the customer isn't leaving happy. But their hands are tied. Honda acknowledges there's an issue, but they want to resolve it (if they even can). They don't want techs in the field, and more relevant to this topic, or to pay for dealer techs to attempt repairs under warranty. They don't want to take a chance with just putting a new transmission in the vehicle since a new one will probably make the same noise. And they don't want to pay for the labor for unqualified field techs to try and reverse engineer the transmission in an attempt to find the flaw and come up with an unapproved fix that may or may not even work.
  • So there you have it. It sucks to hear, but there's nothing the dealer can do about the problem right now. If there was a fix that was available, that they could get paid for on a warranty claim, they'd happily do it.
So, needless to say out decision to purchase a 2011 MDX has hit an unexpected speed bump.

What I think might help us decide is to hear from OTHER 2010-2011 owners on this. I see many 2010-2011 MDX owners driving around and I'm sure there are many forum members who own a 2010-2011 MDX. So. . . .

If you own a 2010-2011 MDX, do you think you have a problem with your transmission or have some unknown noise coming from the transmission that gives you concern?

I'd really like to get some comfort on this issue and hope it is more of an isolated issue affecting certain vehicles only. Are you experiencing this problem?

It would be great to hear that there are owners out there that are enjoying a problem free MDX experience with their 2010-2011.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
There are many 2010-2011 mdx owners with trouble free vehicles. People often come to the forum when they have a complaint or issue so it can seem like there are problems with every mdx when in reality there isn't.

If you are that concerned with it take one out for an extended test drive before you buy it.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced

I totally agree. Just hoping for a bit of reassurance from other 2010-2011 owners. I know it's silly, but some "no problems here" would be great to hear after reading the posts I placed above.

And, we are actually going to our dealer again at noon today when they open for another test drive. While I don't expect to hear the "clicking" noise, I do want to do a bit of an extended test drive.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem here, 6800 miles on my 2010 MDX Advance.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM
No more Acura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently a few owners have issues relating to the engine/transmission as well:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1-2g-mdx-2001-2013-166/engine-pinging-786871/

I think most owners would not have this issue, but you don't want to be the few unlucky ones who end up getting cars with this noise which the dealer can't fix for the time being.

If you can test drive the exact car you are buying, even better. Otherwise good luck.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZCL
No problem here, 6800 miles on my 2010 MDX Advance.
Good to hear

Alcan, we will most certainly test drive the actually vehicle we purchase. Unfortunately, it could be something that pops up after racking up a few miles post purchase. We've test drove two different Acura MDX so far in the last week. I haven't heard anything in either of the vehicles we drove but they were only between 75 and 100 miles each.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawtyger
My wife and I had pretty much settled on purchasing a 2011 MDX to replace our 2005 Toyota 4Runner until I saw a couple posts from 2010-2011 MDX owners describing what sounds like a problem with the new 6 speed transmission.

The description of the problem typically goes something like this (which was taking from a post in this forum):

• Hi, I have a 2010 MDX tech. Recently I hear some click click sound from engine/transmission when the car is around 10mph-20mph under light accelaration (1000rpm-2000rmp), the noise only happens when the engine is warm, it is annoying once you hear it.
Then, apparently an Acura tech posted the following in response to an owner who was concerned about the sounds he was hearing in his transmission:

• So I'm gonna assume you have a 2010 model with the new 6-speed automatic. The knocking noise is coming from the transmission. Since this is a new transmission, they don't have a fix for it yet. The dealer techs call the American Honda Techline, and the response is to do nothing and tell the client that they're working on the fix and to have them return when the fix is available.
  • Nobody wants to hear this. This is not news the dealer wants to pass on to the customer because they sure as hell know that the customer isn't leaving happy. But their hands are tied. Honda acknowledges there's an issue, but they want to resolve it (if they even can). They don't want techs in the field, and more relevant to this topic, or to pay for dealer techs to attempt repairs under warranty. They don't want to take a chance with just putting a new transmission in the vehicle since a new one will probably make the same noise. And they don't want to pay for the labor for unqualified field techs to try and reverse engineer the transmission in an attempt to find the flaw and come up with an unapproved fix that may or may not even work.
  • So there you have it. It sucks to hear, but there's nothing the dealer can do about the problem right now. If there was a fix that was available, that they could get paid for on a warranty claim, they'd happily do it.
So, needless to say out decision to purchase a 2011 MDX has hit an unexpected speed bump.

What I think might help us decide is to hear from OTHER 2010-2011 owners on this. I see many 2010-2011 MDX owners driving around and I'm sure there are many forum members who own a 2010-2011 MDX. So. . . .

If you own a 2010-2011 MDX, do you think you have a problem with your transmission or have some unknown noise coming from the transmission that gives you concern?

I'd really like to get some comfort on this issue and hope it is more of an isolated issue affecting certain vehicles only. Are you experiencing this problem?

It would be great to hear that there are owners out there that are enjoying a problem free MDX experience with their 2010-2011.
2011 MDX with 600 miles on it. No sound here.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Team Anthracite Member

2011 MDX Tech w/ 9000+ miles

No issues here AT ALL! Everything is great, although I would like a few more miles per gallon.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
No issues here AT ALL! Everything is great, although I would like a few more miles per gallon.
What are you currently getting based on your city/highway driving?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 2011 MDX Tech / Ent currently with 1,200 miles under its belt - no clicking noise.

Mike
Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 MDX Advance @ 1300 miles with no noise, hits, or errors.

Note - to orig poster and all those who read post this thread...
Greatest noise is from those who plug negative advertising on forums.
Does not make difference if cameras, cars, or political canidates.
They are all very negative, damaging, and often paid or inspired by the competion.
It is often those who have a bone to pick.
Thankyou MR. Lexus.

Last edited by EL_PIC; 03-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
2011 MDX Advance with 3K miles. No noises of any kind, and it better stay that way.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 ZDX- same tranny as MDX- 4400miles and no problems, at all.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Pro

Lawtyger, are you a lawyer? I get the feeling you are a lawyer trolling for class action suits to champion. You don't actually own an Acura and you seem to just focus on manufacturing defects. If you buy a new car, you get a warranty.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
New update.

I do not have any pinging but I do have some VERY hard downshifts. I think they are 4-3, but I can't be sure. I can't get them to do it all the time but it will happen daily.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Lawtyger, are you a lawyer? I get the feeling you are a lawyer trolling for class action suits to champion. You don't actually own an Acura and you seem to just focus on manufacturing defects. If you buy a new car, you get a warranty.
I'm sorry, but this is just a stupid statement. Hopefully you were just being funny. Heck, didn't realize cars came with warranties but if that is the case, I guess considering a vehicles reliability isn't that important after all. Thanks for your contribution to the forum

We've never owned an Acura but have looked at the MDX a various times over the years only to go on to purchase 4Runners. We have a friend who had 2 transmissions replaced on their early 2000 MDX and I just wanted to research how the latest MDX transmission was performing. Common sense really. Saw some negative comments and posted to see what the extent of the problem was, if there was a problem. This is a forum, right?

In any event, if there is an issue, it doesn't seem to be wide spread. And, I DO own an Acura as we bought a 2011 TL last Sunday. We still plan to purchase an MDX but decided it would our second purchase. For various reasons, we wanted to go from having two SUV (4Runners) to a car (now the TL) and an SUV (the future MDX). So, I was doing everything but trolling unlike you.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 PM
No more Acura

It totally makes sense to research before you buy.

Now I'm stuck with a ZDX that has a ringing noise that is "being investigated" by Acura. It's been 2 months since I reported the problem but still no fix. Yesterday when I called Acura Client Service, the rep said "I already told you that we would contact you as soon as we find a fix. Right now we are not even sure it is even a problem. It could be just a regular characteristics of the car."

When I told him I test drove 2 ZDX which did not have this sound before I bought mine, he said "At this point, sir, this is our position." I can't believe they don't have a fix for something as simple as pinging.

Way to go, Acura customer service. Now I think I should have gone with a Lexus RX350. I spent a very painful $50K which should have been rewarding. This would most likely be my last Acura if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Acura Unadvance.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past 15 years I own few different Acura's and I can tell you that the new 6 speed auto is one of the quietest Honda/Acura transmission. My old 99TL 4 speed was one of the noisiest, even when it was new that transmission bang in and out of gear. On the flip side I had over 200K miles on that transmission before I actually need a replacement. The 08 MDX 5 speed was pretty good but the gear engagement point is not as smooth as the new 6 speed.

However, I do have some sound from my new 2011 MDX with only 2K miles.

sound number 1:
when is bellow 10 degree the AC/Heater blower motor bearing gets loud (this happen only once when the car was under 100miles, I am just too lazy to schedule an appointment to bring my car back to Acura for a blower motor replacement).

Sound number 2: Once in a while I have this weird sound in the front left of my new X. This happen when I go over speed bump, Hard stop/turn etc... few weeks ago I remove the front bumper to install HID daytime and fog light. I notice someone drop a screwdriver right under my air filter box. I never have my car services by anyone and I never own that screw drive before, I guess this happen at the assembly plant in Canada or during Acura TQI process at my dealer. Anyway removing the screw drier solve my weird sound problem plus I got my self another nice screwdriver for my toolbox.

3rd sound:
this week I notice a very small front break clicking sound this happen only when I release my break after a very hard stop (when I short stop 60 to 0, or 90 to 0). Sound like the break pads is moving back and forth, depends on the weather tomorrow, I'm going to check this out.

At the end of the day all Acura have a sound or two when is new, if you plant to keep your car for a long time, just remember all the sound, if you hear something new have the sound check out just to be on the safe side, unless you can identify the source of the sound right away. If you really want something that's really quiet you might want to go take a look at Lexus, I think they have one of the quietest ride around, but I am not a big fan of Lexus/Toyota interior design, they look to mature for me
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Pro

I'm sorry, but this is just a stupid statement. Hopefully you were just being funny. Heck, didn't realize cars came with warranties but if that is the case, I guess considering a vehicles reliability isn't that important after all. Thanks for your contribution to the forum

We've never owned an Acura but have looked at the MDX a various times over the years only to go on to purchase 4Runners. We have a friend who had 2 transmissions replaced on their early 2000 MDX and I just wanted to research how the latest MDX transmission was performing. Common sense really. Saw some negative comments and posted to see what the extent of the problem was, if there was a problem. This is a forum, right?

In any event, if there is an issue, it doesn't seem to be wide spread. And, I DO own an Acura as we bought a 2011 TL last Sunday. We still plan to purchase an MDX but decided it would our second purchase. For various reasons, we wanted to go from having two SUV (4Runners) to a car (now the TL) and an SUV (the future MDX). So, I was doing everything but trolling unlike you.
Why did you get a TL when the new one is due out in 5 months and will have a 6 speed transmission?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1VlOh8turw

Acura is probably the only luxury manufacturer that makes their own transmission. If there is a problem, they can make it right very quickly. They have total control over engineering an manufacturing.

The transmission problems of the TL are well documented. My friend is an Acura foreman. When the TL's started blowing transmissions, Acura automatically extended the warranty. If the transmission went after the extended warranty period, Acura still paid half the costs. A new transmission is $4,500 and that includes installation. A very reasonable price.

I don't see why you are obsessing about the 2011 MDX transmission when it is a new design that has been out less than a year.

Now that you have a TL are you still going to be lurking on the MDX forum for design defects?

Does Lawyer + Litigator = Lawtyger?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Why did you get a TL when the new one is due out in 5 months and will have a 6 speed transmission?
First, you are kind of a jerk and clearly a lurker. Dude, you came to my thread so answer the question that it posed or go back to your hole.

Heck, do YOU even own a MDX or an Acura?

To answer your question why did we get a TL now, well that's simple - We like the current aggressive designed of the TL, took advantage of the incentives, the .9% interest rate, and saw the 2012 TL pics when they came out and decided that the changes made the car look BLAND and we preferred the current design. Even if we like the look of the 2012 TL better (which we don't), we would not be willing to wait to purchase especially when the incentives will likely not be around for awhile.

Seriously dude, there's no conspiracy theory here. You are quite a tool. And, since posting this thread back on February 13th and doing my research I'm quite comfortable with a MDX purchase (when the time comes) and any concern I had about the transmission has subsided since the problems I'm reading about are isolated.

I don't see why you are obsessing about the 2011 MDX transmission when it is a new design that has been out less than a year.

Now that you have a TL are you still going to be lurking on the MDX forum for design defects?
Ironic you say I'm obsessing since I've just asked for input from other people who dropped $45,000 grand on a car. You seem to be obsessing about the fact that I may be a lawyer. No tool, I did not start this thread that has a whopping 20 posts in it for the purpose of looking for litigation. You need to go back and continue looking for the little green men that abducted you years ago or figure out who really shot JFK.

E92Vancouve, I'm not sure what you problem is but the point of this thread is over for my purposes. You seem like a young punk in you 20's you has a little bit to learn about doing research when making big purchases - and I'm not talking about that big purchase of the van down by the river you live and lurk from. You could learn a bit from some folks in the forum if you weren't so full of assumptions and questions about why a person does this or that. Go home little boy, it's night-night time for you
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Pro

First, you are kind of a jerk and clearly a lurker. Dude, you came to my thread so answer the question that it posed or go back to your hole.

Heck, do YOU even own a MDX or an Acura?

To answer your question why did we get a TL now, well that's simple - We like the current aggressive designed of the TL, took advantage of the incentives, the .9% interest rate, and saw the 2012 TL pics when they came out and decided that the changes made the car look BLAND and we preferred the current design. Even if we like the look of the 2012 TL better (which we don't), we would not be willing to wait to purchase especially when the incentives will likely not be around for awhile.

Seriously dude, there's no conspiracy theory here. You are quite a tool. And, since posting this thread back on February 13th and doing my research I'm quite comfortable with a MDX purchase (when the time comes) and any concern I had about the transmission has subsided since the problems I'm reading about are isolated.

Ironic you say I'm obsessing since I've just asked for input from other people who dropped $45,000 grand on a car. You seem to be obsessing about the fact that I may be a lawyer. No tool, I did not start this thread that has a whopping 20 posts in it for the purpose of looking for litigation. You need to go back and continue looking for the little green men that abducted you years ago or figure out who really shot JFK.

E92Vancouve, I'm not sure what you problem is but the point of this thread is over for my purposes. You seem like a young punk in you 20's you has a little bit to learn about doing research when making big purchases - and I'm not talking about that big purchase of the van down by the river you live and lurk from. You could learn a bit from some folks in the forum if you weren't so full of assumptions and questions about why a person does this or that. Go home little boy, it's night-night time for you
Wow. Looks like I hit a nerve. You have really lost the lot. You are screaming like a dude getting a root canal without any freezing. No need to get hostile.

I love your use of insults that compliments your impressive ability to communicate succinctly and concisely.

Can't wait to read your next entertaining post.

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-06-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I own/drive a 10 Adv AND work for ACURA as a master tech... and I have not heard of ANY issues with the 6sp trans as of yet.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

The MDX also has a new V-6 to go with the new 6 speed. I'm sure the V-6 is just a high strung engine that makes some sounds that people aren't used to. Heck my Porsche makes some crazy sounds at start up, that sounds like pining. But its not.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2010 MDX Tech/Ent 5K+ miles - no tranny sounds at all. Got a weird rattle from the center stack area that comes and goes. Have not figured that one out yet.