Anybody have Advance with CMBS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have Advance with CMBS?

Hi Folks,

I am interested in purchasing a new MDX and was considering the Advance package because I really like the Blind Spot warning system. But I am not so sure about the Collision Mitigating Braking system that comes along with it.

Consider this scenario that just happened to me: I am merging onto a highway at about 50 mph from an on ramp. Up ahead, in an unbelievably short distance is an exit, and as I am accelerating onto the highway some jerk passes me on the left and immediately, within five feet, pulls in front of me to take the exit. I had to veer to the (free) left lane and brake in a controlled fashion because somebody was behind me also.

Can anybody tell me from experience how CMBS would have reacted if, suddenly, and while traveling at a high rate of speed, someone swings right into your lane in front of you?

Many Thanks. Any comments about how CMBS performs in the real world would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Advanced

It would've flashed the words "BRAKE" in the center dash display while beeping at you and if it was really close, the car will tug on the seat belt to "wake" you up. That exact thing happened to me. The CMBS really isn't that sensitive. You really have to be tailgating someone for it to even flash the BRAKE sign. Having said that, it is a nice feature to have coupled with all the other Advance "upgrades". I think you can shut the CMBS off although I don't know why you'd want to......

Level 1 - Flashing "BRAKE" and beeping
Level 2 - Flashing "BRAKE" and beeping, tugging seatbelt
Level 3 - It will apply brakes if crash is unavoidable

Here is the acura link. http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...braking_system

Here's another good thread on the topic. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=CMBS

For my $, the Advance package was worth it. I really wanted the adjustable suspension, cooled seats, and blind spot monitoring. The other upgrades were nice but not "needed" for me. I thought I'd like the adaptive cruise control but it is too conservative for me (even on the most aggressive setting)......and it doesn't work well in sweeping curves on the highway when....you are in the left lane, semi in the right lane 20 feet ahead, in a slow left hand curve. The ACC will slow down b/c it thinks the semi is in your lane when it isn't. Sorry for the side bar.....

Last edited by 2010blackonblack; 07-08-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010blackonblack
It would've flashed the words "BRAKE" in the center dash display while beeping at you and if it was really close, the car will tug on the seat belt to "wake" you up. That exact thing happened to me. The CMBS really isn't that sensitive. You really have to be tailgating someone for it to even flash the BRAKE sign. Having said that, it is a nice feature to have coupled with all the other Advance "upgrades". I think you can shut the CMBS off although I don't know why you'd want to......

Level 1 - Flashing "BRAKE" and beeping
Level 2 - Flashing "BRAKE" and beeping, tugging seatbelt
Level 3 - It will apply brakes if crash is unavoidable

Here is the acura link. http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...braking_system

Here's another good thread on the topic. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=CMBS

For my $, the Advance package was worth it. I really wanted the adjustable suspension, cooled seats, and blind spot monitoring. The other upgrades were nice but not "needed" for me. I thought I'd like the adaptive cruise control but it is too conservative for me (even on the most aggressive setting)......and it doesn't work well in sweeping curves on the highway when....you are in the left lane, semi in the right lane 20 feet ahead, in a slow left hand curve. The ACC will slow down b/c it thinks the semi is in your lane when it isn't. Sorry for the side bar.....
You kinda have the functionality of the system wrong. It's not just the closeness to the other car. It's how close you are to that car and the CLOSING SPEED. If you are tailgating but at the same speed as the car in front of you, there should be no CMBS intervention.

You also have the 3 CMBS interventions a little off.
1)Flashing BRAKE on the MID and beeping.
2) Mild application of brakes and tugging on the seat belt.
3)Crash mode, Hard braking coupled with the pretension of the seat belt to hold you in place.

To the OP, remember that the CMBS system never takes control of the car away from you. You can still steer and brake in fact if you don't hit the brakes and steer away from the issue, you will certainly crash. The system is only designed to minimize crash forces not eliminate them.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks.

I wondered whether the "gain" of the response could be inappropriate in conditions like these, where the system would overreact and create an additional complicating factor.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Anytime that CMBS or ACC actuates then you can always overide its action. I.E. If ACC mistakes a semi in the adjacent lane then you only have to press on the accelerator to overide and then take your foot off when the road straightens out and the ACC resumes. If CMBS brakes for you then you can overide that too by 1. braking yourself 2. accelerating or 3. moving the steering wheel so that the CMBS no longer recognises an issue.
Lastly, you can select whether you want CC or ACC and depending on the roads and traffic conditions your selection would aleviate some of the issues with its attributes.
My opinion is buy the option - you can never have too many toys!