Brake fluid change and Rear differential change at 20K?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 04:57 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake fluid change and Rear differential change at 20K?

Currently at 23,000 Miles. 3 and a half years.

Never had either done. Going for an oil change next week

Just oil changes. Last time I went to the dealer for a tire rotation and they said I didn't need it after looking at everything, even though the minder said so.

They are charging 150 for the rear diff and 260 for the break fluid.

Can I hold off on one of them? And if so, which? Just expensive when I also add in another 110 for the oil change with tire rotation on top. I would like to get at least 2 of the services now, and then go back in about another 2 months for the other.

The minder called for both the last oil change but the lease was up and didn't get it. Ended up buying it out a month after anyway

My independents shops that I use to go to with old cars said changing those this early was insane, but I know the SH-AWD is different with Acuras so I will go by what Acura says

Thanks

Last edited by Acura0n3; 04-18-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:52 PM
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura0n3
Currently at 23,000 Miles. 3 and a half years.

Never had either done. Going for an oil change next week

Just oil changes. Last time I went to the dealer for a tire rotation and they said I didn't need it after looking at everything, even though the minder said so.

They are charging 150 for the rear diff and 260 for the break fluid.

Can I hold off on one of them? And if so, which? Just expensive when I also add in another 110 for the oil change with tire rotation on top. I would like to get at least 2 of the services now, and then go back in about another 2 months for the other.

The minder called for both the last oil change but the lease was up and didn't get it. Ended up buying it out a month after anyway

My independents shops that I use to go to with old cars said changing those this early was insane, but I know the SH-AWD is different with Acuras so I will go by what Acura says

Thanks
Your dealer seems expensive. Maybe get a quote from a Honda dealer, as I had them do a service when the nearest dealer was 2 hours away.

I did the rear differential fluid change at 24 months and 15k miles - cost $135 at the dealer.
Did the brake fluid change at 36 months and 22k miles - cost $145 at the dealer.

The local dealer also does synthetic oil changes with filters for $64. Discount Tire/Tire America do free tire rotations.

I air on the safe side, as it’s minimal cost (IMO) and I have not had one issue yet.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 04-18-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:12 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Your dealer seems expensive. Maybe get a quote from a Honda dealer, as I had them do a service when the nearest dealer was 2 hours away.

I did the rear differential fluid change at 24 months and 15k miles - cost $135 at the dealer.
Did the brake fluid change at 36 months and 22k miles - cost $145 at the dealer.

The local dealer also does synthetic oil changes with filters for $64. Discount Tire/Tire America do free tire rotations.

I air on the safe side, as it’s minimal cost (IMO) and I have not had one issue yet.
Funny you say that, because I just looked online and two other dealers have a cheaper cost. I been going to the same place for so many years. I doubt they price match with other Acura dealers in the area right lol. I guess I can try a new place when I go
The following users liked this post:
Texasrdx21 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 876 Likes on 670 Posts
My advice is definitely to do the services if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term. The brake service is important because brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water and will corrode brake lines. The differential service is important because this is one of the most sophisticated AWD systems ever created and it is constantly engaging and disengaging the clutches at the rear. The service is required so early on because it helps clean out loose bits from early wear, FWIW the next differential services are every 45k miles so it's just for longevity.

Personal aside but I am currently looking for a used 2020+ RDX and any that do not show the differential service being done within the first 20-25k kms I immediately remove from the list.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
You should do both. The brake fluid absorbs water and should be replaced every 3 years regardless of miles. The first change of the diff is a lot sooner because it’s wearing in and most likely has more metal in it from the gears wearing together, the next changes for the diff are double the amount of miles as the first, unless you tow a lot.

I do my own fluid changes with Acura fluid, brake fluid is about $30 to change yourself, and the rear diff I can do for $20, it’s almost all labor your paying to have it done.

The rear diff fluid must use DPSF Acura fluid, don’t let anyone use anything different, it’s stamped right onto the diff itself, it’s a very picky part. I believe the brakes use DOT3 or 4, never use dot 5

waiting 2 months isn’t gonna hurt anything, just don’t keep putting it off past that

Last edited by Dereileak; 04-19-2024 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Funny you say that, because I just looked online and two other dealers have a cheaper cost. I been going to the same place for so many years. I doubt they price match with other Acura dealers in the area right lol. I guess I can try a new place when I go
I would ask about a price match, they just might honor it. Another thing is to check the dealers in your area for online content labeled “service specials.” Some are good deals and typically dealers in my area honor other dealer service specials with a mileage limit (must be within 10 miles of the dealer offering the special). Beware of some deals, like $100 for a cabin air filter and engine air filter. It’s about $25 worth of parts and 20 minutes (the 1st time).
Old 04-19-2024, 10:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
My advice is definitely to do the services if you plan on keeping the vehicle long term. The brake service is important because brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it absorbs water and will corrode brake lines. The differential service is important because this is one of the most sophisticated AWD systems ever created and it is constantly engaging and disengaging the clutches at the rear. The service is required so early on because it helps clean out loose bits from early wear, FWIW the next differential services are every 45k miles so it's just for longevity.

Personal aside but I am currently looking for a used 2020+ RDX and any that do not show the differential service being done within the first 20-25k kms I immediately remove from the list.
Appears we all agree on doing those two services on time, truly not expensive compared to if things brake after the warranty is gone. Engine air filter and air cabin filter are super easy to do yearly (DIY - super easy) - cost less than $35 on Amazon for both!

Also, FWIW - if you are near the 4years/50k warranty - Acura extended warranty is not that expensive - as if anything goes post warranty - its always a $1K+ bill.

RDX - looks for a 21+ (2022 was the year of the mid-refresh - new bumpers and etc). Personally the 2022+ Aspec Advanced with SHAWD would be a great option - as I wish mine had the 360 camera, HUD, wireless charger+apple Car play. more insulation and adjustable suspension. Acura definitely worked out all the kinks by 21+ model years. I can attest, my 21 has been rock solid reliable.
RDX10 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I believe the brakes use DOT3 or 4, never use dot 5
Dot 4 has a higher boiling point, but is more hygroscopic than Dot 3. So a common recommendation is to change DOT 3 every ~3 years, or DOT 4 every ~2 years.

I expect that either of those times are slightly overkill, but I do them anyway. Once out of warranty, I may buy a brake fluid water content tester, and just do the change based on that.

I have also been using the dealer brake fluid on my cars -- the VW stuff is lower viscosity DOT4; the Honda DOT 3 stuff claims to be special, but I don't know whether it is. Ordered online along with a bunch of other stuff (transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, rear diff fluid, oil filters) the price of the dealer brake fluid is competitive, even with shipping.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Appears we all agree on doing those two services on time, truly not expensive compared to if things brake after the warranty is gone. Engine air filter and air cabin filter are super easy to do yearly (DIY - super easy) - cost less than $35 on Amazon for both!

Also, FWIW - if you are near the 4years/50k warranty - Acura extended warranty is not that expensive - as if anything goes post warranty - its always a $1K+ bill.

RDX - looks for a 21+ (2022 was the year of the mid-refresh - new bumpers and etc). Personally the 2022+ Aspec Advanced with SHAWD would be a great option - as I wish mine had the 360 camera, HUD, wireless charger+apple Car play. more insulation and adjustable suspension. Acura definitely worked out all the kinks by 21+ model years. I can attest, my 21 has been rock solid reliable.
Oh absolutely! Especially that rear differential! I am pretty sure I saw someone on here needing to replace their's to the tune of 5k. It was a couple months back. That's not something I want to play with. We have a couple older very high mileage SH-AWD acuras in the family (Brother in law drives a 07 MDX with 320k kms/200k miles) and its running like a champ. So if these things are maintained well they will run forever.

I am not sure what the standard warranty is here in Canada, I will definitely have to look into it. I know that a lot of dealers here are seliing their CPO RDX's with a baked in powertrain warranty until 160k kms/100k miles or 7 years so at least I have that piece of mind. But I am definitely cognizant of the potential electronics issues as well.

The cost delta between 20's and 21's is all over the place here. Sometimes the same price, other times like 8k difference with similar mileage. Covid has had a substantial long lasting impact on car prices in Canada of which our market has still not fully recovered. I am hoping to not end up extremely soaked when the market stabalizies in a couple of years. The 22's are significantly more expensive and for me really the biggest pros of the 22+ models is the snappier infotainment response. I do like the 16 way seats and HUD combined with the A-Spec package. Otherwise I honestly don't really want the adaptive dampeners (my experience with my 07 MDX Elite and the $1200/corner has left me with a bad taste for adaptive suspensions) and IMO the 2019-2021 A-Spec is WAY more attractive than the 22+ models. I really like the angry angular lines in the front as opposed to more bar of soap with holes appearance of the current models. Don't get me wrong, both are beautiful, but I strongly prefer the styling of the pre-refresh models. In a perfect world Acura would have offered Lunar silver with the red interior (still can't believe they offered it on Apex blue but not on the silver) but alas looks like I'm getting either Apex blue, modern steel, or white. Never doing black again!

Thank you for your input dude, much appreciated as always!

Originally Posted by attofarad
Dot 4 has a higher boiling point, but is more hygroscopic than Dot 3. So a common recommendation is to change DOT 3 every ~3 years, or DOT 4 every ~2 years.

I expect that either of those times are slightly overkill, but I do them anyway. Once out of warranty, I may buy a brake fluid water content tester, and just do the change based on that.

I have also been using the dealer brake fluid on my cars -- the VW stuff is lower viscosity DOT4; the Honda DOT 3 stuff claims to be special, but I don't know whether it is. Ordered online along with a bunch of other stuff (transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, rear diff fluid, oil filters) the price of the dealer brake fluid is competitive, even with shipping.
What is the transmission fluid schedule? I've never seen anyone on here mention it, I was starting to think it was a "lifetime" fluid.
Texasrdx21 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 322 Likes on 191 Posts
Oh absolutely! Especially that rear differential! I am pretty sure I saw someone on here needing to replace their's to the tune of 5k. It was a couple months back. That's not something I want to play with. We have a couple older very high mileage SH-AWD acuras in the family (Brother in law drives a 07 MDX with 320k kms/200k miles) and its running like a champ. So if these things are maintained well they will run forever.

I am not sure what the standard warranty is here in Canada, I will definitely have to look into it. I know that a lot of dealers here are seliing their CPO RDX's with a baked in powertrain warranty until 160k kms/100k miles or 7 years so at least I have that piece of mind. But I am definitely cognizant of the potential electronics issues as well.

The cost delta between 20's and 21's is all over the place here. Sometimes the same price, other times like 8k difference with similar mileage. Covid has had a substantial long lasting impact on car prices in Canada of which our market has still not fully recovered. I am hoping to not end up extremely soaked when the market stabalizies in a couple of years. The 22's are significantly more expensive and for me really the biggest pros of the 22+ models is the snappier infotainment response. I do like the 16 way seats and HUD combined with the A-Spec package. Otherwise I honestly don't really want the adaptive dampeners (my experience with my 07 MDX Elite and the $1200/corner has left me with a bad taste for adaptive suspensions) and IMO the 2019-2021 A-Spec is WAY more attractive than the 22+ models. I really like the angry angular lines in the front as opposed to more bar of soap with holes appearance of the current models. Don't get me wrong, both are beautiful, but I strongly prefer the styling of the pre-refresh models. In a perfect world Acura would have offered Lunar silver with the red interior (still can't believe they offered it on Apex blue but not on the silver) but alas looks like I'm getting either Apex blue, modern steel, or white. Never doing black again!

Thank you for your input dude, much appreciated as always!

What is the transmission fluid schedule? I've never seen anyone on here mention it, I was starting to think it was a "lifetime" fluid.
Code came on for mine at about 50k miles, pretty cheap to do it yourself, not so much if you go to a dealer
RDX10 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Back when Acura provided maintenance schedules, rather than just relying on the Maintenance Minder (MM), the first change was at 45k miles, then every 30k miles after that. Different transmission, different fluid though. My tentative plan is to just do it every 30k miles (which is what the maintenance plan that the dealer wanted to sell called for). I would do it even sooner if the MM calls it out, but that is unexpected.

The transfer case fluid is supposed to be changed at the same time as the transmission.
RDX10 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 04:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dereileak
Code came on for mine at about 50k miles, pretty cheap to do it yourself, not so much if you go to a dealer
Thank you for your input dude, much appreciated. Strangely enough I have only seen a single RDX who's history report shows the transmission fluid service. I have seen a ton that said "rear differential fluid change" but only ever 1 that said transmission and most of these are around 50-60k miles, some a little more even. I wonder if dealers here are including the transmission service in the differential service. I will have to call and ask on Monday.

Back when Acura provided maintenance schedules, rather than just relying on the Maintenance Minder (MM), the first change was at 45k miles, then every 30k miles after that. Different transmission, different fluid though. My tentative plan is to just do it every 30k miles (which is what the maintenance plan that the dealer wanted to sell called for). I would do it even sooner if the MM calls it out, but that is unexpected.

The transfer case fluid is supposed to be changed at the same time as the transmission.
Thank you for the information dude. I think every 30k is a great idea considering Honda doesn't have a great history with transmissions.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:26 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by John from PA
I would ask about a price match, they just might honor it. Another thing is to check the dealers in your area for online content labeled “service specials.” Some are good deals and typically dealers in my area honor other dealer service specials with a mileage limit (must be within 10 miles of the dealer offering the special). Beware of some deals, like $100 for a cabin air filter and engine air filter. It’s about $25 worth of parts and 20 minutes (the 1st time).
Just an update on this. The dealer matched one of the A1 service coupons I had. Wouldn't match the cheapest ( 88.70 ) but matched the $99

Changed the rear diff fluid. Brake fluid we are doing in 6 weeks.

He tried to tell me Acura wants the brake fluid changed every 2 years now. I doubt that.

Their price was way to expensive for the fluid change.. I found another dealer who is going to do it for 175 instead of $260. Still high but much better

The dust/pollen filter needs attention and engine air filter needs attention but they said its not needed yet. Probably sometime in the next 2 services

Last edited by Acura0n3; 04-20-2024 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:20 PM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Glad they were able to honor a service coupon that you had!

Just popping in here to say that I'm scheduled to go in for my B16 maintenance service that will include my rear diff fluid change on Tuesday. I'm at 11k miles and it was recommended for my '23 Aspec Advance. Seems on the early side. I'm not complaining though as I like to get my money's worth out of that torque vectoring rear diff.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by quikj
Just popping in here to say that I'm scheduled to go in for my B16 maintenance service that will include my rear diff fluid change on Tuesday. I'm at 11k miles and it was recommended for my '23 Aspec Advance. Seems on the early side. I'm not complaining though as I like to get my money's worth out of that torque vectoring rear diff.
What remaining % oil life do you have indicated? When the various codes come on, they are meant to be done at the next oil service. My "6" code also showed up at 11.3k miles, but it was expecting me to do the next oil change at about 14k miles (and the oil change after that would have been too overdue for the rear differential fluid change). The old printed (circa ~2005 MDX, pre-Maintenance Minder) schedule was to change the rear differential fluid at 15k, 30k, then every 30k after that.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:20 PM
Instructor

The dust/pollen filter needs attention and engine air filter needs attention but they said its not needed yet. Probably sometime in the next 2 services
The dust/pollen filter can be done by anyone, truly. Maybe 10 minutes the first time, under 2 minutes after that. The engine air filter can be done by almost anyone with the interest.
RDX10 (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
What remaining % oil life do you have indicated? When the various codes come on, they are meant to be done at the next oil service. My "6" code also showed up at 11.3k miles, but it was expecting me to do the next oil change at about 14k miles (and the oil change after that would have been too overdue for the rear differential fluid change). The old printed (circa ~2005 MDX, pre-Maintenance Minder) schedule was to change the rear differential fluid at 15k, 30k, then every 30k after that.
I'm at 20% oil life remaining now.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:45 PM
Pro

The US has an over flow of used and new vehicles - its post craziness boomerang hitting hard. Only shortages now, qualified buyers with $$$ - that more rare than the chip shortage in the hay-days. Though the MSM will try to tell you differently - all car lot are bursting at the seams.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

The US has an over flow of used and new vehicles - its post craziness boomerang hitting hard. Only shortages now, qualified buyers with $$$ - that more rare than the chip shortage in the hay-days. Though the MSM will try to tell you differently - all car lot are bursting at the seams.
Here in Canada it has just been the past 2 months that I am starting to FINALLY notice new vehicle piling up on dealer lots. There is a Toyota dealership by my house that was just completed a year or so before covid hit and they had tons of cars on their mall sized lot. As soon as the whole chip shortage fiasco hit their lot was completely empty. Then they were selling new vehicles faster than they could keep them on the lot. Now I drive passed them every day and finally see new cars piling up which is awesome because it is sign that shit is starting to regulate. It's funny because a lot of dealers are still trying to covid gouge. I've been watching a number of used RDX's and it is amazing how the dealers are still trying to super aggressively mark them up and then watching them bring them down like 8k over the course of a month or two absolutely makes my day.
Texasrdx21 (04-21-2024)